Shortlist
Recently Viewed
You have not viewed any villas yet. When you do, they will appear here for easy reference.

Search


Categories

About This Guide
Latest Articles
Most Viewed
Random Selection
Articles With Photos
Meet The Authors
Accommodation   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10
Animal Kingdom   page 1 / 2
Cruising
Days Out   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6
Dining   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 / 21 / 22 / 23 / 24 / 25 / 26 / 27 / 28 / 29 / 30 / 31 / 32 / 33
Discovery Cove   page 1 / 2
Disney General   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14
Disney Parks   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14
Epcot   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4
Florida History   page 1 / 2
Golf   page 1 / 2 / 3
Hints and Tips   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4
Hollywood Studios   page 1 / 2
Magic Kingdom   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4
Miscellaneous   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17
Museums
Night Life
Other Activities   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15
Other Florida   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14
Other Parks   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6
Owners Vacation Diary   page 1 / 2
Places to Visit   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
Planning your Trip   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
Sea World   page 1 / 2
Shopping   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10
Shows
Sports and Recreation
State Parks   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
Travelling   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
Universal Parks   page 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
Water Parks

Florida Guide > State Parks

DADE BATTLEFIELD HISTORICAL STATE PARK

Dade Historical State Park is situated off the I. 75 and State Route 48 (west of Highway 301) in Bushnell and will be a enjoyable day out for history and nature lovers both.

Over 100 US soldiers were killed by Seminole Indians in Dec 1835. Of the Seminole Indians only 3 perished which I suppose you could say was a resounding victory for them. You can still see the battle field at this park which has been carefully restored and conserved.

This battle was the result of bad feeling caused by America making Florida a US territory (previously Florida was Spanish) and attempting to move the Seminole Indians to Oklahoma. About 75% of them went without protest but the other 25% would not move without a fight; and so it was.

Senator Duncan Fletcher and General Mc Arthur worked tirelessly to save this site but it was not until The ninteen forties that the monies were given to turn the battle field in to a memorial.

There is a good museum in the visitor centre with a video to see and battle clothes and armour and nany artefacts from this era. There is also a good selection of books that cover not only the war but also the ways and life of the Seminole Indians.

However, there is more to this park than the afore mentioned; there are 2 good walking trails for instance.

The Volksport Ass Trail is over 6 miles long and covers not only the park but also threads out into the local community.

The Pine Flat Trail goes through the pine woods that cover an amazing 40 acres of the state park and follows the Historic Fort King Military Road. This trail can be completed in less than half an hour. Look out for gopher tortoise, woodpeckers, quails and of cours snakes.

There are 6 covered pavilions here so pack a picnic to stop a while in this lovely area. There is a playground near by and also some loos.

Late dec to early jan they re enact the battle here, so it would be a good time to visit; phone ahead for the exact dates(352 793 4781) World War 2 day is usually on the first sat in August.

Park is open 8am to sundown every day of the year and in hotter months take sun screen, hat and insect repellant.

Park Fees:

Admission Fees - $2. 00 for up to 8 people per car.

Reservations:

BBQ Grill - $5. 00 plus tax

Dade Battlefield Historic State Park
7200 CR 603 South Battlefield Drive
Bushnell, Florida 33513

Phone: 352-793-4781
Fax: 352-793-4230

We aim to provide accurate and useful information, but if you feel anything provided here is not accurate or out of date, please email us with the address of the page concerned and any comments so we can amend as necessary.

Page added on: 2 May 2007
Viewed 4088 times since 1 September 2008.

There are no photos available for this article at the moment.

Villa Owners: Upload A Photo To This Article

To upload a photo for consideration, click here. Please only submit photos relevant to this article.

Other Articles Viewed

The following articles were also viewed by people who looked at this one:

Bookmark This Article


These sites allow you to store and share links over the internet. You can share the links with other users or just use them to access your links from any computer you are using. More information is available here.