Florida Guide > Golf
The one thing I remember about my first visit to Florida were the golf courses, I thought wow, I’m going to play some of these and so bought a home there and started to play whenever time allowed.
For the Golf enthusiast there are over 40 courses in and around the Orlando area to cater for all levels of player. Having not played most of them, – Yet, - I can only comment on one or two. Most, I have to say, are better than the majority you will find in the UK, mainly due to the weather aspect and the fact they are generally very well looked after.
I have selected 5 courses to get you started, all of which are along the US 27 corridor, which makes them so easy to get to, certainly from my home at Glenbrook. Club Hire is around $20 if you decide not to take your own.
1) SWISS FAIRWAYS GOLF and CC. (Swiss Ski School) at Clermont, approximately 5 miles west of the US 27, just off Highway 50, on the 565A (South), this is a most deceptive par 71, 6725 yd must- play course. No club cleaning service here, just a good, honest, friendly course, a Portacabin as a Club House and part time staff - but what a course. It needs a little TLC but otherwise fabulous, and less than $50 for a game including Cart.
2) HIGHLANDS RESERVE GOLF CLUB. On the US 27, about 3 miles south of its junction of the US 192. Opened in 1998, this is a very enjoyable and challenging Par 72, 6686 yd course with open Scottish Links style fairways, which wander through old citrus groves and pine trees. Costs are from $50 (after 14. 00hrs) to $80, including Cart.
3) DIAMOND PLAYERS CLUB. 2 miles East of Clermont on the SR 50, this challenging par 71, 6993yd course with panoramic views, with huge sandy wastes, lots of water, sat on top of the second highest apex of Florida, nothing more to say really – just try it. Costs are from $50 (after 12. 00hrs) to $80 and include Cart.
4) LEGENDS GOLF and COUNTRY CLUB. 12 miles North of US 192 on the US 27. Opened in 2001 this par 72, 6911yd course of rolling, slanting and multi-tiered fairways, which are almost mountainous at times is already a favourite despite being relatively new. It has water on six holes with wonderful mountain and lakeside views. Costs are: $75 up to 13. 00hrs and $65 after, this includes Cart.
5) KINGS RIDGE GOLF CLUB. Opposite Legends with two courses, North and South, The North being an 18 hole par 57 on which you need to bring your best putting, and the Soutb, a challenging 18 hole par 70 with rolling well maintained fairways. Prices for these courses vary and deals can be obtained
I hope this gives you a real taster. There is no “best” course; they are all excellent as all tastes are different thankfully, but its fun finding out about them. But please try and play Swiss Fairways if nothing else.
Viewed 47641 times.
We aim to provide accurate and useful information, but if you feel anything provided here is not accurate or out of date, please email us with the address of the page concerned and any comments so we can amend as necessary.
Villa Owners: Upload A Photo To This Article
To upload a photo for consideration, click here. Please only submit photos relevant to this article.
Other Articles Viewed
The following articles were also viewed by people who looked at this one: