Florida Guide > Disney Parks
Interesting Facts About the Haunted Mansion
The Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom, Disneyworld, Orlando, is one of the most popular attractions. Although it opened in October, 1971 it recently underwent a big refurbishment and re-opened in September 2007, with improved animatronics and upgraded technology.
Here are a few facts for those who love this attraction.
1. There are 999 ghosts – you are invited to be the 1000th.
2. The ride lasts 7 and a half minutes.
3. The track is 295 meters in length (960 ft)
4. The Haunted House is the only attraction which can be found in different lands worldwide.
Disneyland – New Orleans Square
Disneyworld – Liberty Square
Tokyo – Fantasyland
Paris – Frontierland – it is actually called Phantom Manor
5. The OmniMover Ride System is made up of individual ‘Doom Buggies. ’ These can rotate and each vehicle is programmed to turn and dip at specific moments during the ride, so that guests’ attention is directed to particular elements in the show
6. There are 160 Doom Buggies.
7. The Doom Buggies can transport over 3, 000 guests per hour.
8. Each Doom Buggy is designed so that you cannot see anything around you, only what is in front of you.
9. There are ghosts and ghouls from many eras including the Egyptian, Roman, Napoleonic and Dickensian times.
10. As well as hundreds of apparitions there are various ghostly animals which appear, such as baying hounds, bats, owls, talking ravens, cats and screaming banshees. In fact, the ravens were originally meant to be the tour guides.
11. Names which appear in the crypt include:
Asher T Ashes
Wee G Board
Pearl E Gates
Hap A Rition
M T Tomb
12 The narrator, who is your ghost host, is Paul Frees who provides the voices of many of the Pirates of the Caribbean.
13. The theme song, Grim Grinning Ghosts is sung by the Mello Men.
14 Madame Leota who appears in the crystal ball is actually the face of the late Leota Thomas (nee Toombs! ) who was an artist and model designer for Disney.
15. The voice of Madame Leota is provided by Eleanor Audley, who was also the voice of Lady Tremaine in Cinderella, and Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty.
16. There are only 2 Hidden Mickeys, one in the graveyard and one in the ballroom.
17 The tombstones contain epitaphs such as:
‘Rest in peace, brother Huet. We all know you didn’t do it. ’
‘Here lies good ol' Fred. A great big rock fell on his head. ’
18. Many of the props in the Haunted House were from Disney films, including the pipe organ in the grand hall, which was used in the movie “20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea. ”
19. The tall cypress trees located between Splash Mountain and the Haunted Mansion were originally at the entrance to Tomorrowland. They were moved in 1967. Cypresses often symbolize death.
20. The cobwebs are formed using a device called a cobweb spinner, and Fuller’s earth.
Remember – ‘there is always room for one more! ’
We aim to provide accurate and useful information, but if you feel anything provided here is not accurate or out of date, please email us with the address of the page concerned and any comments so we can amend as necessary.
Page added on: 31 December 2007
Viewed 5152 times since 1 September 2008.
The following photos have been submitted by our villa owners for this article.