Florida Guide > Disney General
Facts About Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
For many children, particularly little girls, the highlight of any trip to Disneyworld, Orlando, Florida is the chance to see all the Disney princesses in magical surroundings. It is enchanting to see children living their dream as they explore Magic Kingdom in their princess outfits. ‘Snow White’s Scary Adventures’ is one of the most popular rides in Magic Kingdom and appeals to children of all ages – including those of us who are young at heart.
In this charming and whimsical attraction guests travel in wooden mine carts, named after the seven dwarfs, through scenes of Snow White’s adventures. The journey takes 3 minutes and does include a few scary encounters with the wicked and evil Queen. When the ride opened, some of these scenes had to be toned down as there were complaints that children were frightened by them. Of course no fairy story would be complete without a happy ending so the ride ends with the seven dwarfs waving goodbye to Snow White and her dream Prince. In fact, Snow White did not feature in this ride when it opened as you, the guest, were supposed to be Snow White. This caused a lot of confusion as guests did not realise this. She was not actually added until 1994 when it was hoped her addition would ‘soften’ the ride and make it less scary for children.
Of course, Snow White is one of the favourite Disney Princesses. The film ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’ was Disney’s first major feature film, as until that point they had only been involved in the making of short animations.
For those of you who love this Disney classic here are a few interesting facts:
1. The film, ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’ took 3 years to produce. In fact it was known mockingly in the industry as ‘Disney’s Folly, ’ and even Walt’s wife, Lillian, said ‘No one’s ever gonna pay a dime to see a dwarf picture. ’ She had to eat her words – it was a major success from the day it was released!
2. Disney had to mortgage his house in order to finance the production of the film, which eventually cost a whopping $1. 5 million, a vast amount for a film made in 1937. He had initially hoped it could be produced for just $250, 000, so this was a huge miscalculation on his part.
3. The premier of the film took place at the Cathay Circle Theater on December 21st, 1937 and it was given a standing ovation. It went on general release on February 4th, 1938, and made more money than any other motion picture in that year.
4. Until 1939, ‘Snow White’ was the highest grossing film in American cinema history but it was ousted by ‘Gone With the Wind. ’ However, it is still one of the top ten money-making American films of all time.
5. The songs were composed by Larry Morey and Frank Churchill. Some of the most popular songs were ‘Whistle While you Work, ’ ‘Some Day My Prince Will Come, ’ and ‘Heigh-Ho. ’ I am sure most of us are able to sing along to these classic melodies. The film was nominated for ‘Best Musical Score. ’
6. There were about 50 names suggested for the seven dwarfs, including Silly, Awful, Sniffy, Dizzy, Cranky and Scrappy. The final seven were Bashful, Grumpy, Sneezy, Doc, Dopey, Sleepy and Happy.
7. The film was re-released in 1944 during World War II, in order to raise revenue for the studio. It has been re-released every 7-10 years and the film was restored in 1987 for its 50th anniversary re-issue. It was also digitally restored in 1993.
8. Each of the dwarfs has its own character. Doc looks the oldest and is always considered to be the leader of the dwarfs. He wears glasses and tends to jumble up his words. At the mine, his job is to check the gems to make sure they are authentic.
9. Happy laughs a lot and is the fattest of the dwarfs.
10. Grumpy has the biggest nose of the seven dwarfs and he is as grumpy as his name suggests. He disapproves of Snow White, just because she is a woman, but underneath his crusty exterior he actually cares about her safety. He tries to warn her about the Wicked Queen, and rushes to help her when she is in danger.
11. Bashful is very shy and is probably secretly in love with Snow White.
12. Sleepy always looks tired. At the mine his job is to haul the diamonds and rubies by cart for Doc to inspect. He has the longest beard.
13. Sneezy has an allergy to flowers – hence he is always sneezing. He has the shortest beard of all the dwarfs.
14. Dopey looks younger than all the dwarfs and has no beard at all. He never speaks, and his job is to clean up all the unusable gems. You can always see him at the end of the line of dwarfs as they make their way to and from the mine.
15. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs won an honorary Academy Award for Walt Disney ‘as a significant screen innovation which has charmed millions and pioneered a great new entertainment field. Walt Disney received a full size Oscar statuette and seven miniature ones. The child actress Shirley Temple presented them to him.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is certainly one of the most charming and best-loved of Disney’s wonderful classic animated films, and can still be enjoyed by children of all ages today. A visit to ‘Snow White’s Scary Adventures’ is something not to miss if you love this Disney princess.
We aim to provide accurate and useful information, but if you feel anything provided here is not accurate or out of date, please email us with the address of the page concerned and any comments so we can amend as necessary.
Page added on: 31 December 2007
There are no photos available for this article at the moment.
Viewed 16323 times since 1 September 2008.
Villa Owners: Upload A Photo To This Article
To upload a photo for consideration, click here. Please only submit photos relevant to this article.
Other Articles Viewed
The following articles were also viewed by people who looked at this one:
Bookmark This Article
These sites allow you to store and share links over the internet. You can share the links with other users or just use them to access your links from any computer you are using. More information is available here.